The premier qualification for voluntary benefits professionals
CVBS is officially recognized by the Voluntary Benefits Association®.
Always New – Always Updated
With a commitment to Education, the Voluntary Benefits Association has developed the first and only industry professional designation program, the Certified Voluntary Benefits Specialist® (CVBS). The CVBS program is focused on providing transparency, education and communication on ancillary benefits.
Whether you are an Employer/HR professional looking to drive employee satisfaction or recruitment, or help protect employees’ income and assets, or minimize their health risk and promote well-being; or you are an Insurance Agent, Broker, Consultant or Carrier advising your HR clients on programs that help offset their rising costs of healthcare, or deliver customizable benefits products and services for their unique workforce, or assist them in combating growing challenges presented by recruitment and retention; you’ve come to the right place!
This designation not only teaches you ALL you need to know with the latest information voluntary benefit, the latest information on program design, communication and engagement strategies built for success, but we provide you piece of mind knowing you can make impactful, sustainable and cost reducing changes for both your company and its greatest asset…its employees.
Our certification is aimed at improving your education and providing you with that competitive edge you’ve been looking for. The designation is awarded to the most qualified professionals working in the voluntary benefits field. The designation recognizes the ability to deliver customized voluntary benefits plans, tailored to organizations’ and employee’ needs.
The Certified Voluntary Benefits Specialist® requires 8 modules of educational training followed by an online 100 question exam.
- Earn up to 14 SPHR Re-Certification Credits
- Earn up to 12 Continuing Education Credits for Agents, Brokers and Consultants
- Nationally Approved by 50 States
Navigate the functionality of voluntary benefits
The CVBS course teaches a comprehensive understanding of the legalities surrounding benefit offerings.
The eight-module course features:
- Detailed instruction on how to implement and administer voluntary benefit programs
- Definitive information and statistics on what programs are being offered within the benefits industry
- In-depth explanation of the impacts of federal regulations such as HIPAA, ACA, and the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA)
The Certified Voluntary Benefits Specialist® Program Guidelines:
- Complete educational requirements of all course modules
- Pass 100-question exam administered after module completion
- Update their voluntary benefits specialty credentials through continuing education courses required in order to maintain the CVBS designation
- Required recertification within two years after date of issue
Obtain certification in three ways
- Online through our learning management system
- Live on-site at VBA partner events across the U.S.
- At an official VBA event, such as the Voluntary Benefits Conference
Special arrangements can be made for groups of 5 or more to receive onsite training at your location. Click here to learn more about our CVBS group opportunities.
Maintaining certification requires specialists:
- Complete ten (10) hours of continuing education credits every two (2) years or (5) five modules of continuing education annually
- If applicable, up to 7.0 credits can be transferred from your insurance license CE state requirements leaving 3.0 direct CVBS credits every two (2) years.
This demonstrates CBS holders are up-to-date with best practices and current industry standards.
$150 annual fee per year for access to continuing education resources, membership to online resource center, Ask the Experts platform and designation maintenance.
$500 recertification fee due two years after date of issue which includes the annual fee.